Thursday, January 10, 2013

Keep Calm and Change the Channel (or laugh)


Well it was special-requested for me to blog about TLC's The Best Funerals Ever.  Ooooh child, I laugh just thinking about the show.  Oh...y'all didn't think it was funny? I did! I thought it was ridiculous!! BWHAHAHAAA 

When that lady ate that rib and started shouting I instantly thought of some of my family get-togethers.  If you haven't hummed a little diddy or wanted to stomp your feet a little bit, well then you just haven't had real good food.  A mess - I know.  But think about your favorite dish made by a family member at a family reunion or your favorite restaurant and you know you get a little extra pep in your step!  If you don't.....well....I feel sorry for you.

Now I know the preacher was a mess. How he decide to end his little raggedy eulogy with the Baby Back Rib song? And when Mr. Beckwith got his light-skinned-ed self up in that sleigh with that casket going down the aisle and then sat his light-skinned-ed self in that pulpit in that Santa costume I was DONE!! I'm talking slit my wrist and everything done!! 

I know that some of you are appalled - how can I make light of this? Well - IT WAS FUNNY!  It was entertainment. Don't get mad at Golden Gate.  They gave their "eccentric" clients what they wanted.  It's not their fault.  Those people were happy.  Can we blame Golden Gate for carrying that urn around that state fair with that man's ashes? I blame his family, talking about "he never got to ride the rides."  HELLO!! He still didn't!! Y'all riding the rides and using his insurance money to do so!!

Look I have had two very, very, very dear loved ones to have their services done by Golden Gate. I attended every meeting with my mom as we planned my grandmother's home going service.   It was none of that buffoonery you saw on the show.  They were professional, compassionate, and very traditional. 

Was the show a mess? Yes - in a good way.  They showed the over-the-top things.  I'm sure some of that foolishness was scripted or heavily "encouraged" by producers so the show could get picked up. 

Listen, you better do your research.  The funeral business is big business and I can't knock the Beckwiths for expanding their brand so to speak.  I'm not mad at their hustle.  Trust me, er'time (yes-er'time) I drive by Golden Gate off of I-35 there are cars in that parking lot.  And don't go to a wake there on a Friday night.  Baby....you are going to have to park down the street and WALK.  Yep....they're doing something right.

Honey, don't hate the players, hate the game. 

Note: this blog was penned by none other than "Trina" and not Katrina.  Peace!

No comments: