Monday, January 7, 2013

The cost to be the boss

I spent over $140 at the grocery store this evening. I am not bragging - trust me.  I will be looking for every penny from that grocery store bill in probably 3-4 days.   This grocery store bounty will not get my family of 5 beyond this weekend.  I know for a fact I will have to return to the grocery store by Friday.  Come to think of it, my husband will have to go today because I forgot to get toilet tissue.  Arggh!!!

The higher-than-usual bill is due to the fact that I stocked up on healthy, natural foods as part of our participation in our church's annual Daniel fast.  Almond butter, natural, organic brown rice cakes, hummus, fresh fruit, etc.  It was like an ad for preventive medicine I tell you.  But as I wearily added to my basket (I'm good with numbers when it comes to my money), I entertained the thought that it is sooooo much cheaper to buy "bad" foods.  Sigh.  Well, this journey is spiritual indeed, but also physical.  Spiritually, I will spend more time with God. Physically, my body will thank me for the change as I cleanse.

To be conscious of every morsel you consume takes strength, self-discipline, a support system, and prayer.  Yes indeed, it costs to be the boss.

No comments: